ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE13/11/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
At the Department of Biological Sciences, University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position within microbial ecology and Arctic microbiomes. The position is for a fixed term of 3 years, with the possibility of extension, and is associated with the NRC funded project “Climatic forcing of methane gas escape through permafrost in Svalbard (CLIMAGAS)” in collaboration with University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS).
The postdoctoral fellow will work with development and implementation of multi-omics applied to microbial driven Arctic ecosystems. The successful postdoctoral fellow will apply, utilize and develop novel methods toward understanding the interactions between bacterial community structure and function, towards a fast changing Arctic environment and the factors that affect ecosystem and organism response to the warming Arctic.
The project will particularly focus on a unique understanding of methane and CO2 emissions from the Arctic, as these gases are vital contributors to Arctic climate change science. This will include the determining and characterizing of the biotransformation of these gases, their resultant biogeochemistry, and their effect on microbial community populations. Whole-community microbial ecology will be coupled to cutting edge model community construction and assessment. Existing techniques will include controlled cultivation, de-novo population and isolate genome sequencing, genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics as well as meta-omics, (RT)-PCR, q-PCR, and genetic manipulations. Implementation of highly portable USB-based nanopore DNA sequencing platforms coupled with field-adapted environmental DNA extraction, rapid sequence library generation will be one of the prioritized tasks.
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 300. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Lise Øvreås, Department of Biological sciences, phone +47 55582675/ 99236392
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within microbiology, chemical/biological/environmental engineering, molecular biology, biotechnology or another relevant area. The applicant must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The successful candidate must have a strong background in one or multiple of the following technical areas: microbial genomics, transcriptomics, bacteria and archaea, microbiomes, advanced microbial cultivation, bioinformatics, metagenomics or molecular microbial ecology
- Experience in preparing libraries for sequencing and post-sequencing bioinformatics for assessment of microorganisms and microbial communities is an advantage (eg. Qiime, R, ARB, MOTHUR, BLAST, (Meta) Velvet)
- It would be an advantage if the candidate also has experience and aptitude for working on wet-bench experiments, computational analyses and field-based research
- Proficiency with programming languages, such as R, Python and/or Matlab is also advantageous
- Experience from Arctic field work is an advantage
- Applicants should have excellent communication and organizational skills; and have strong documentation of publications in international journal
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased to 3 years and 6 months. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. The department will fund the extra months. The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work, as well as a progress plan, will be developed in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department.
It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
EURAXESS offer ID: 456692
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.