Do you already speak French but wish to improve? Do you want to learn French? This page is for you!
Today, there are more than 270 millions French-speaking people around the world. Learning this language opens up new horizons for progress and exchange of knowledge in both cultural and professional fields.
Use your stay in France to learn French, it is the best way to do it.
You might decide to take French classes before your arrival in France. Outside France, there are three types of official institutions providing French classes:
- Institut français: a network of French institutes and cultural centres, which depend directly from the French Embassy;
- Alliance Française: these language schools are part of the Alliance Française foundation and are attached to the French Embassy;
- University French studies departments, which are attached to the Ministry of Higher Education in your country, sometimes supported by the Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (Francophonie University Agency)
Find out if you can find these organisations in your home country and how to enrol in classes.
In France, you will find a large offer of language schools and services. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, coming for a short-term or long-term stay, you will find a course adapted to your needs.
- Centres labelled "qualité FLE" (FLE quality)
This certification for French training centres is a guarantee of high-quality linguistic training. For more information and to find the whole offer of courses, please consult the FLE website.
You will also find the list of these centres on the catalogue of short programmes and summer schools published by Campus France.
Please note that some French EURAXESS centres have partnerships with local language centres or provide advice on which course to choose according to your language level and your needs. Feel free to ask around before choosing your course.
Download a free mobile application Immersion France which will provide you with all the information you need to learn French in France.
- To become familiar with French language and culture, try watching TV5 Monde, the international Francophone channel. The Apprendre platform offers interactive exercises adapted to all language levels.
- RFI Savoirs is a Francophone radio station offering exercises, informative dossiers and helps to learn and teach French.
- Agence nationale pour la formation professionelle des adultes, AFPA (French National Agency for Adult Professional Training) offers MOOCs (Massive Online Open Courses), in particular in French as a Foreign Language (FLE) to teach beginners the basics of the French language.
- There are many Alliances Françaises that offer online French classes. Check the Alliance Française website for more information.