If you are a doctoral student, you can work alongside your studies at a level of:
- 50% of a full-time equivalent (FTE), or 803 hours (1607 hours/2) for an Algerian national
- 60% of a full-time equivalent (FTE) or 964 hours for other nationalities - non-EU nationals
If you have student status and a doctoral contract, you will need a work permit.
How to request a work permit?
Applications for work permits for PhD students with a "student" residence permit must be submitted to the DIRECCTE (Territorial Unit of the Regional Directorate for Entreprise, Competition, Consumption, Labour and Employment) of your place of residence
Document required (copy of each document) :
- A valid residence permit ("student" CST or "récepissé" or visa validated by OFII stamps)
- Passport pages stating the identity and validity dates
- A current student card
- A proof of address
- A form CERFA 15186 * 03 to be completed by the employer.
Additional documents (depending on your situation):
- Doctoral contract
- Contract ATER and certificate of employment stating the date of taking up office
- Convention CIFRE
You must contact the Territorial Unit of DIRECCTE according to your place of residence. Visit http://direccte.gouv.fr and select your region to find the contact information.
Formalities to be completed before hiring (by employer):
Before hiring, the employer must send an employment declaration to the prefecture - a copy of residence permit and work permit within two working days prior to hiring.
If the foreign worker presents a valid proof of registration with Pôle Emploi, this declaration is not necessary.