RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/03/2020 20:20 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
IBG-3 - Agrosphäre
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of hydrological and biogeochemical processes in terrestrial systems. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water.The world faces Grand Challenges posed by climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution of water and soils. Multiple stressors act simultaneously over a range of temporal and spatial scales, resulting in the significant loss of ecosystem services that eventually affect societal well-being and humanity. While immediate impacts sometimes receive considerable attention, little is known about their long-term and systemic effects and cross-scale interactions.
This position is nested in the European Long-Term Ecosystem Research (eLTER PLUS) Horizon 2020 project, aiming at improved transdisciplinary understanding of the multifaceted environmental system in order to develop appropriate mitigation measures to these critical Grand Challenges.The work involves the set-up of a coupled continental scale surface-subsurface hydrologic model with a global dynamic vegetation model for the pan-European domain and decadal time periods. In addition to available time series from the eLTER network, we will use remotely sensed time series of vegetation, land surface, and subsurface states like from the SMOS, SMAP, MODIS, Sentinel and GRACE satellite missions. Your main tasks will be:
- Establish a validated pan-European scale terrestrial ecosystem model and assess the impact of climate extremes on water related ecosystem services
- Simulate 30 years of hydrological conditions and fluxes conditioned to eLTER network data and other measurement data
- This position offers you the chance to contribute to an international research project, publish in international journals and present results at international conferences.
- Masters with subsequent PhD degree in hydrology, meteorology or climate sciences, land surface modelling or other environmental sciences
- Experience in hydrologic, land surface or ecohydrologic modelling
- Experience with Linux-based systems and high performance computing is of clear advantage
- Strong background in data science (data assimilation, inverse modelling, data analysis, data management) is of clear advantage
- Demonstrated programming skills (e.g., Python, Fortran, R, C++)
- Demonstrated scientific track record (publications, conference participations)
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes
- Very good communication and organizational skills
- Fluent command of English language
- Participation in national and international conferences and workshops
- Further development of own scientific profile through a strong international network
- Cooperation in a highly motivated, international and interdisciplinary team
- Extensive internal and external training opportunities
- Exciting working environment on an attractive research campus, conveniently located in the Cologne-Düsseldorf-Aachen triangle of cities
- Flexible work time arrangements and a wide range of options for reconciling work and family life
- A position starting from 02/2020, limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
EURAXESS offer ID: 456785
Posting organisation offer ID: 2019-383
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.