RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesCommunication sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/06/2020 21:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2020
IRB Barcelona seeks an experienced Scientific Computing and/or bioinformatics Specialist to work in the Genome Data Science Laboratory (Dr. Fran Supek) at the Cancer Science Programme at the IRB Barcelona.
The group aims to attract a Scientific IT Lab Manager to work on managing the high-performance computing infrastructure and the genomics pipelines of the team. Their overall goal will to be organize the infrastructure that enables analyses of human genomic big data, thus fostering translational and basic research of cancer. The team is dedicated to discovering new ways to diagnose and treat cancer in the framework of the European Research Council (ERC) project HYPER-INSIGHT.
The role of the Scientific Computing Lab Manager will focus on the provision of state-of-the-art high-performance computing services and bioinformatics/genomics pipelines, in the collaborative setting of the Genome Data Science group.
In particular, this will involve being responsible for maintaining the group’s compute cluster (Linux system admin; SLURM workload manager admin); assisting the IRB IT service in management of NetApp and Synology disk storage systems; interfacing with the IRB IT service to expedite solutions for diverse IT-related issues in the group; supervising and training lab members in their use of the group’s HPC resources and of MareNostrum supercomputing; maintaining the code of the group’s own genomics pipelines; running the pipelines on our own cluster, or on MareNostrum supercomputer or Amazon cloud.
The initial contract is for 1 year with a possibility of extension. Anticipated starting date is 01-Jun-2020 although it is possible to start after that date.
Optionally, there is possibility of developing own research projects that fit within the research interests of the group.
- Provision of broad, state-of-the-art high-performance computing and bioinformatics services to support excellent research of the Genome Data Science group.
- Maintaining the group’s compute cluster (Linux system administration and software installation; SLURM workload manager administration)
- Assisting in management of the groups’ NetApp and Synology storage systems; assisting in managing the group’s Linux workstations
- Choosing/purchasing new computing equipment
- Interfacing with the IRB IT service to expedite finding solutions for IT-related issues in the group
- Supervising and training lab members in their use of the group’s resources, of MareNostrum/StarLife supercomputing, and of cloud computing services
- Running the group’s genomics pipelines on own cluster or on supercomputers
- Collaborating on others’ research projects and/or development of own research projects
- Present at group and/or department meetings
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
- Experience: One year or more experience in work on administering Linux machines (preferrably servers/compute clusters)
- Knowledge: BSc or MSc in field relevant to the duties described (e.g. computer science, applied mathematics, bioinformatics/genomics). PhD-level candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Skills: Ability to work independently, and interact well within an international team environment consisting of researchers of diverse career stages (PhD students, postdocs) and backgrounds (life scientists, computer scientists)
- Languages: A solid level of spoken English is required.
- Experience: Setting up and maintaining the Slurm workload manager; some experience with supercomputing (e.g. MareNostrum) and/or cloud computing (e.g. AWS)
- Knowledge: Some knowledge and/or desire to learn about genomics/bioinformatics methods and software (aligners/mappers, mutation callers, structural variant callers). Some knowledge of deep learning algorithms.
- Skills: Supervision/training of junior colleagues. Ability to deal with exceptional situations on short notice.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of an established research group.
- Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
Applications for the above opening should include (i) a CV (listing 1-3 relevant accomplishments, e.g. technical achievements, or software developed, or work on collaborative projects, or scientific publication; and explaining the candidate’s contribution to each project in several sentences), (ii) motivation letter, and (iii) contact information of 2-3 potential referees should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com
- Deadline for applications: 20/05/2020
When the applicants do not fit the requirements, the deadline will be able to be extended.
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter and experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
For more information please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive a response within a month.
EURAXESS offer ID: 522323
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.